Museum Exhibit Materials

Initially, I started my research by finding exhibits in New York City that would be open for the remainder of the semester.  When looking into the current Moma exhibits, I was initially drawn to the photography.  After researching and learning more about photographers throughout the semester in the Photo Essay and Book projects in class, I found that working graphically with photography really interests me.

Rachel Harrison’s Perth Amboy at Moma is comprised of 21 photographs, individual sculptural assemblages, and an open-ended labyrinth made from cardboard. Harrison photographed the window of a home in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, where an apparition of the Virgin Mary was said to occur.

When first visiting Moma, I collected their museum brochure to look at their own design style.  I wanted to be aware of their design, but also find a way to set mine apart.  Walking into the exhibit, it looked very bland and stark.  The light white and blue colors in the photographs blended in with the white walls.  The dull brown of the cardboard labyrinth filled the room and prohibited you from seeing all of the elements of room in one glance.  As you walk through the maze and see the odd and colorful installations, it gives a feeling of irreverence in contrast with the religious nature of the photos.

In starting to design the exhibit materials, I wanted to highlight the cardboard material, the light and contrasted colors and the bright pop of blue (Pantone 310C) that appeared of a long panel on the wall of the exhibit.  I also wanted to choose a classic looking font, Cochin, that would compliment the religious nature of the photographs.


I ran into a couple obstacles in constructing the brochure.  First. I wanted to findin a way to enclose the brochure that felt in line with the structure of the exhibit, with was very tall and rectangular.  My first idea was to have layers of panels coming from the side and put a band around it.  With my next try, I kept the panels on the side in slightly different shape and put a slight diagonal slit that the flap would fit into.  In my final attempt. I decided to have the panels coming from the sides, bottom, and top and let them lay flat with the fold and no enclosures.  

I also decided that I could print some text on the kraft paper, but lay the rest out on white paper on the inside because the images did not look natural glue on top of the brown paper.  In my final version, I adjusted the layout to be in more of a grid  and made the title stand out a more.  I kept the invitation and poster pretty simple and placed the invite in a cardboard-looking holder.

Here is a link to my process work and here are my final versions.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s