The first project we were assigned for the Process and Skills class was to construct an 18” x 24” black and white self portrait poster. To begin with, this sounded relatively easy till we were given the other constraints – we were only allowed to use photographs clicked at a photo booth, a photocopy machine and found type. After searching a bit I managed to find a photobooth and simultaneously began researching poster design. I was attracted to both Punk and Swiss poster design; two very distinct forms. I felt the grunge, DIY technique of the Punk era suited the resources assigned for this project, accurately. However, without finalizing on one, I began working on my poster.
I began by sketching a few rough layouts. Post this I photocopied my picture and scaled it up in 3-4 different sizes, so that I had an ample number to play with. I started playing around with the photocopies, trying to match my sketches. What I found extremely helpful was to try different layouts and photographed them, without sticking them, so that I had an idea of what they looked like, this really helped me make a final selection.
After presenting my first draft, I received suggestions from my fellow classmates to find more type to incorporate in the poster. For my 2nd and 3rd drafts I concentrated on playing with type in different sizes and fonts. I also managed to find type that had an interesting pattern, which I included in my final poster (image posted below). Overall this turned out to be an exciting project that became easier once I got the hang of it.
You can see images of my work here (password is processandskills)